Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Replacing attic insulation with a whole house fan

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 04:06:18 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

trader_4 wrote: "Of course you need to open windows with a whole house fan. That is exactly how they function. They draw air through open windows, thorough "

Precisely the WRONG advice - at least here in New England where summers are 'triple-H' so to speak. All keeping the windows open would do is cause the fan to suck in all the humidity to replace the hot air it removed.

My thermostatic attic fan has been coming on at attic temp=80F for decades, going back to when my parents owned the place. We open the windows late in the evening, and close them early the following morning. By midday, the house temp is still around 70, and the fan comes on.

Reduces our AC season by one month at either end.

Trader is "precisely" correct. _Whole house fans_ should have a window
open during low humidity periods. This allows hot air in the home to
be evacuated up and through the attic. Usually, whole have fans are
mounted in the hallway ceiling.

An "attic fan" is another story, as pointed out by Trader.