Posted to alt.home.repair
Pico Rico Pico Rico is offline

Default copper pipe soldering question

"H0m eGu y" "H0m e"@Gu y.com wrote in message
Pico Rico wrote:

You are much better off cutting out the joint or the section you're
working with and then solder new copper pipe in its place.

well, I tend to agree, but it really depends on the existing
configuration and location. In this instance, zero possibility
of a fire, but cutting back further is more of a hassle.

Then it's just a matter of applying enough heat to melt the solder.

You will need to remove every last drop of water in the pipe, or you'll
never be able to apply enough heat to melt the solder.

If you can or if you need to, shove some rags or paper towels in the
pipe to soak up the water and then remove them.

Maybe drill a small hole right at the joint so water can drain out.

Is your problem getting the pipes disconnected?

Or are you asking how to re-connect or clean the surfaces once you've
got them apart? The answer to that is sand paper.

The latter. I am sure I can pull them apart, I just want to be able to
slice a new fitting over a previously unsoldered part. Thanks for your
comments.