Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Initial swamp cooler turn-on

On 3/27/2014 8:42 AM, KenK wrote:
After cleaning up the swamp cooler, lubricating, changing pads,
removing last year's calcium, etc. for a new season how do you clean
the dust and dirt out of the blower that shows up when the cooler is
started up the first several times? I use an old A/C filter I hold
against the inside-the- house grill to collect most of the dirt. The
front grill doesn't come off, that I can figure out, to allow
vacuuming it inside. I'm not sure where the dirt comes from - the new
pads or it collects during the winter.

How do you handle this annoyance?

Also softening hard well water. I usually use one of those white
blocks in the water pan. This year I may try an in-line water
filter/softener. Ever try one of these?

TIA

I have worked on a number of swamp coolers but they're not common here
in high humidity Alabamastan unless they're installed in a business or
restaurant kitchen. As with all units which have a squirrel cage blower,
the only way to really get it clean is to remove the blower, most will
slide out, and get after it with a brush and water hose. I've had to
pull a lot of them out of HVAC air handlers and clean the blades because
the dirt build up will make the blower much less efficient at moving
air. It is a pain in the buttocks to clean them. ^_^

TDD