Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrics for AV/audio - sockets or strips?

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
You seem to have changed your tune. It's now that *some* specially made
1/4" jack connectors are suitable for speakers. Not what you said
initially.

That might be the case.

I haven't changed my tune at all. I see 1/4" jack connectors of all and
every variety from open frame to enclosed plastic types used as speaker
connectors on a variety of musical and PA amplification equipment, just
about every working day. They work, and they work reliably. It is
exceedingly rare to get any problems with these connectors - and
contrary to what you believe, that is also the case where the plugs are
left permanently connected, as is found with many combos. You, on the
other hand, have consistently declared that in your opinion, the 1/4"
jack is a totally unsuitable connector for connecting loudspeakers to
*any* equipment, and your preferred type was the Speakon. All I have
done with the Switchcraft reference is to attempt to show you that that
particular manufacturer - and I'm sure there would be others if I could
be fagged to look - makes a 1/4" jack connector which it *specifically*
declares is for speaker use, and has a not too dissimilar contact
rating to the Speakon.

So the fact that there is an 'improved' version specifically for speakers
doesn't make you realise that a 'standard' type is lacking in some way?
Do you actually understand what you post?

Now you can choose to believe that Switchcraft don't know what they are
talking about and are liars if you want. You can also choose to split
hairs over "some specially made" jacks, but the fact remains that here
is an example of something that you have consistently denied exists,
because 1/4" jacks are only for poor quality small signal use, yes ?

At least you seem to understand that bit.

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.