Posted to alt.home.repair
Retired[_2_] Retired[_2_] is offline

Default Initial swamp cooler turn-on

On 3/27/14, 2:05 PM, KenK wrote:
KenK wrote in
:

After cleaning up the swamp cooler, lubricating, changing pads,
removing last year's calcium, etc. for a new season how do you clean
the dust and dirt out of the blower that shows up when the cooler is
started up the first several times? I use an old A/C filter I hold
against the inside-the- house grill to collect most of the dirt. The
front grill doesn't come off, that I can figure out, to allow
vacuuming it inside. I'm not sure where the dirt comes from - the new
pads or it collects during the winter.

How do you handle this annoyance?

Also softening hard well water. I usually use one of those white
blocks in the water pan. This year I may try an in-line water
filter/softener. Ever try one of these?

TIA

I tried the blower before I put the sides (and pads) on the cooler this
year. Same dust and dirt. So it accumulates during the winter. My vacuum
not strong enough to suck up the dirt through the blower blades with the
cooler sides off.

Don't you cover your swamper during the winter, with the canvas cover
made for them ??