Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default High level work-bench

dave wrote:
On 03/27/2014 04:12 AM, Gareth Magennis wrote:
"N_Cook" wrote in message
I was watching a bit of film of a master goldsmith/jeweller at work. His
workbench was at chest height, because mainly close-up work.
He then had forearm rests, fixed to the bench, for doing the precision
manipulation work.
Does anyone here who regularly repairs/reworks SM boards have a similar
setup? Could of course be a standard bench height but cut-down stool.

Ha, I once worked in a music shop, and the benches in the workshop had been
made the exact same height as the bar top in the pub round the corner,
because someone thought that was a good idea.

Problem is, it meant lifting heavy power amplifiers onto these benches
reulted in multiple hernias.

You want a bench the height that does not require a clean and jerk to
achieve this feat.
Really.

My human engineering handbooks say 32 inches is optimum. You are free to
use a short chair.

All the benches I've used for repair were much higher than 30 or 32". The
idea was you could work standing up. If you wanted to sit, you grabbed a
tall stool, which would eventually get in your way.

super heavy and large things were left on carts. There was never a reason
to lift a console television or rear projection TV onto a bench. Old
microwaves were not worth the lifting effort either and could sit on a
lower work surface, (like a console television with a rug on top).

At home the benches are set something like 34" so they're not too low for
use with a drafting stool. I don't spend hours and hours at these though.