Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johny B Good[_2_] Johny B Good[_2_] is offline

Default Electrics for AV/audio - sockets or strips?

On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:25:46 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

Bit snipped...

====even more snippage====

Yes it will work but I think if these days if you were starting from
scratch then something that bit better would come about. I'd bet that in
terms of contact resistance a phono plug has more contact area;!.

True but they'd need to be better engineered to achieve the required
consistency. All too often, I'd come across examples where the outer
ground return on the socket was sufficiently undersized to cause an
open circuit with properly sized plugs and vice versa on cheap plugs.

Could have been worse I suppose, it might have gone the way of the DIN
speaker connector.

Now that was an abortion .. if ever there was one;(..

[PG_Mode ON]

"It surely was, Tony... it surely was."

[PG_Mode OFF]
--