Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johny B Good[_2_] Johny B Good[_2_] is offline

Default Aldi LED lamps

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 15:14:08 +0000, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

First half decent LED lamp I ended up with was an end of line
remaindered model from Aldi/Lidl discounted to £10 for a brace.

I was a bit surprised to see when I visited IKEA recently
that the LED "candle bulbs" were slightly less efficient,
in lumens per watt, that the more standard energy-saving bulbs.

That's typical. What you're paying for (assuming enough lumens) is
the 50,000 hour life rating and 'instant on' feature.

The best lighting in terms of cost per lumen output still remains the
linear fluorescent tube in an electronically ballasted fitting.

The CFL can't compete simply on account that its much higher tube
temperature demands the use of the slightly less efficient mercury
amalgam fill (the reason why they suffer a 'run up to temperature'
delay in reaching their design lumens brightness).
--
Regards, J B Good