Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default wierd grading on Columbia Birch.. Made in USA says ON-GRADE

On 3/26/2014 9:24 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/26/2014 6:47 AM, Swingman wrote:

With regard to the original question, you will find the phrase "on-grade"
used mostly by global suppliers. I don't know it as a fact, but, from
lack
of any other guidance, I have presumed the phrase, in regard to the
product
designated as such, was to indicate it was in compliance with said
"appearance based" grading standards??

Again, I could be wrong in that regard ...

Seems a plausible supposition; I don't recall having ever seen it before
the posted picture. Then again, we don't have any of the big box stores
around here...

Interestingly, like OP I did some searching and found no reference
whatever to it in any of the ply association trade group sites or
grading references, nor did a search at the Forest Products Lab site
return any seemingly relevant hits. I didn't spend a lot of time, but
generally stuff will show up pretty quickly...

But, that's as a good a guess as we gots at the moment until/unless OP
does contact Columbia and gets an answer and then lets us know what they
say...

I'd also guess it's that or something very similar.

--

I did send Columbia an email asking what it meant the next day. I have
not heard back.

--
Jeff