Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default wierd grading on Columbia Birch.. Made in USA says ON-GRADE

woodchucker wrote:
On 3/25/2014 7:39 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/19/2014 8:11 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I can't find anything about ON-GRADE anywhere.
I went to Columbia's site could not find anything.

Don't know what it means.
see: http://i.imgur.com/eqrXfhj.jpg

I've always thought it was relevant to "appearance" ... IOW, the
"appearance" of the plywood is "on grade" if it coincides with the
standard plywood grading system of the country or area with regard to
the "appearance" of lumber grade it is produced from.

But, I could be wrong ...

Sorry, I'm not following.

Helps to understand how lumber is graded for specific use.

When it comes to a specific _use_ for interior, furniture, shop, etc.,
both hardwoods and softwoods are graded based on "appearance".

Hardwoods are basically "appearance" graded (board size and clear surface
area) as a rule; softwoods are generally either one of two categories
"construction" grade (strength), or "appearance" grade (finish and select),
depending upon use.

With regard to the original question, you will find the phrase "on-grade"
used mostly by global suppliers. I don't know it as a fact, but, from lack
of any other guidance, I have presumed the phrase, in regard to the product
designated as such, was to indicate it was in compliance with said
"appearance based" grading standards??

Again, I could be wrong in that regard ...

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)