nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico Rico View Post
I have seen two basic types:

1. place water detectors near water heater, washer, etc.

OR

2. monitor water flow into the house for unusual, constant flow.

I like the idea of the second type, as that would shut off the house water
if a toilet goes leaking. Here is this type that I have found:
Most Reliable Automatic Water Shut Off Valve | FloLogic Inc.

I am not a shill for this company, but wonder if anyone has any experience
with it. It seems expensive ($1,500.00 if I recall). I have not found any
reviews on line, and wonder if it is reliable. I would want such a device
to just work for 25 years, no fuss, no muss. I don't want a lot of
repairs/replacements.

Any competitors for design type #2?
There are advantages and disadvantages to every different design.

It seems to me that the $1500 would be better spent on ten years worth of insurance to cover you in the event of a burst pipe or toilet overflowing. Your home owner's policy almost certainly already covers water damage from a burst pipe or toilet overflowing, but the cost of adding that coverage wouldn't be more than $100 to $200 per year .

And, the insurance will pay to repair the water damage. The $1500 gadget won't.