Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] mroberds@att.net is offline

Default Sony SX-434 works!

wrote:
I posted some time back about powering up the SX-434 reciever after it
had been unpowered for some years. Using a variac I slowly brought the
power up. Then today I plugged an mp3 player into it and wired up some
speakers and it sounds great!

Thanks for posting back with results! It helps everybody calibrate
their advice for next time.

There are two devices that look to me like tubes with metal cans over
them. Did this thing really have a couple tubes in it?

Probably not. Those are probably the electrolytic filter capacitors for
the main positive and negative power supplies. Most smaller electrolytic
capacitors of that vintage have a plastic sleeve (often blue, green, or
black, but anything is possible) over the metal can. Some of the larger
ones didn't have plastic outer sleeves then - usually it was just plain
aluminum. Usually there is a size and voltage rating either stamped
into or printed onto the aluminum.

If there is something like "3300 uF, 50 V" printed on the cans - the
numbers may vary but the "uF" and "V" marks will be there - then these
are indeed the capacitors. They may also have a "+ + +" or "- - -" or
a stripe to indicate polarity.

Matt Roberds