Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Purpose of chicken wire under tile

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 09:11:50 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

You're using the membrane as a cheap replacement
for a copper pan? It's not needed in a normal bathroom
floor application. I'd be leery of using something like
that in a shower. It seems to be advertised for "constant
steam" applications, like for walls in steam rooms, to
reduce the migration of moisture through the wall.

Chicken wire might serve as structure in a sandmix
bed, like rebars in concrete, though I've never heard
of it being used.
For bath floors I normally screw concrete board to
plywood subfloor and use thinset on top of that.

I know a lot of people use the hardboard. I'm hesitant
to trust it because it seems to be some kind of glue-
based composite. Like using flakeboard for sheathing:
It might work fine, but what if the glue breaks down
in 20 years? There's nothing else holding it together.

"Les" wrote in message
.. .
|I understand that the layers under bathroom tile go (from bottom to
| top):
| Kerdi membrane
| Chicken wire
| Hardboard
| Tile
|
| What is the purpose of the chicken wire?
|
| Also, I know that Thinset is used to hold the tile to the hardboard.
| But where else is Thinset (or other compounds) used in between the
| lower layers?

Schlueter system, all the way. makes a stable, waterproof tile floor
with minimal thicknes penalty and weight.