Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Flight MH370 disaster - Some thoughts about telemetry, hijacking

On Monday, March 24, 2014 1:46:05 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 08:18:17 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't saying anything different from any of this. Only that if

they don't find the ship before he beeper stops, they won't find it in

our lifetimes.

Just a few years ago they did exactly that. They recovered the Air France

black boxes in a similarly deep ocean without benefit of the pings. It

took 2 years, but they did it.

This case is a lot different and I stand by what I said. If you don't

believe me, so be it.

That's real definitive. The pingers have typically not been involved
with finding the crash site, only in helping find the black boxes
after you know where the crash site is. Again, they only transmit
2 miles under water. The water in the search ares is 2 miles deep.
You'd have to be right on top of it and the chances of doing that with
the limited number of vessels that move at 20 MPH, in the huge area is
slim to none. The Air France case isn't
different in the aspect you're talking about. They didn't find the
wreckage from the pingers and the pingers were long dead when they
finally found the wreckage and the black boxes 2 years later.
There is no reason that the same thing couldn't happen here, if they
find floating wreckage tomorrow and start working backwards.

If they never have a good idea of where the wreckage is, then I
agree, they may never find it, but the pingers going dead isn't the
determining factor that makes it impossible, as proved by Air France.