Leo Lichtman

Default Spindle-turning Long, Thin Wood: Update...

JOECOMUNALE wrote: (clip). like what if that piece starts to wobble?
Then - you had better have some sturdy reinforcements (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I see the mental image that's worrying you, but don't think it's gonna
happen. First, I would never rely on a steadyrest to stabilize an
unbalanced piece. If the piece is in balance, and the CG is on axis, there
are no forces to start the vibration. Without a steadyrest, a rotating
piece can get very slightly off center, generating centrifugal force, which
draws it farther off center, increasing the centrifugal force, and things
run away. If the steadyrest is doing its job, doesn't ever start to get off
center. And, if a tiny does occur, the wheels prevent the displacement
which leads to the runaway reaction.

I have had the wheels run very slightly loose, due to my own carelessness,
but have never had even a hint of a disaster.