Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ABLE1[_2_] ABLE1[_2_] is offline

Default Magnetic door holders question

wrote in message
Each coil draws .015A at 24VDC. Putting them in series would not be
practical especially in a large building. There are systems that use 120VAC
coils but the circuits have to have the correct cable, (Romex) pre wired for
them. Most buildings are wired using 18 or 16 AWG. FPLR low voltage cable
for initiation and indicating circuits. You would not want to run 120V
through these. Further, most fire alarm guys are certified in low voltage
and although I wired my own house and I could certainly wire a 120V circuit,
we are not electricians. For this reason all the door holders I've run into
are the 24VDC variety.

I do like Michael's idea of video taping the failure and sending it to the
manufacturer. Perhaps that will get them off their asses to come up with a
solution. Lenny

Sorry to dig this up but need to interject a bit of input.

First the problem you are having is unusual. Since this is a commercial
fire panel it needs to be worked on by the servicing alarm company to make
any adjustment or corrections to the system. This is required by NFPA as
well as the AHJ in your jurisdiction. There are procedure that can
determine the cause and correction of such issues.

Personally I would be checking residual voltage at the mag door holders when
power is removed. Also checking the door plates to see if they are somehow
magnetized and applying the extra holding force you describe. Depending on
the above results there are certain device applications that can correct the
problem.

Also knowing the mfg, model and the vintage of the Fire Alarm Panel itself
could go along way to solving the problem. Again, doing work on a
Commercial Fire Panel needs to done by trained professionals. If you are
not, don't touch it.

Les