Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint options

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 11:42:18 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 3/22/2014 7:59 AM, Mayayana wrote:
wrote in message
| Have you checkec Consumers Reports? They do a fairly thorough job of
evaluating all types of paints.

I haven't read it recently, but someone told
me they rated Behr tops. So... so much for
CS.

Well, I generally don't much agree w/ CS, either, but I wouldn't write
Behr off because of them.

I get the feeling your comment is mostly based on the relationship w/ HD
rather than anything else, but Behr was a well-established west-coast
manufacturer long before they got the national exposure.

Like other manufacturers, they manufacturer grades from the low-end to
high and generally you tend to "get what you pay for"....

The other problem with CR is that they haven't rated
oil paint for years -- if they ever did. What I'm especially
concerned with is interior oil trim paint. Water base paint
quality is not so much of an issue. It's mostly for walls.
For trim any decent brand is generally serviceable, but
inferior in terms of surface finish when dry.

I've not used any interior oil-based wall paint in years so no real
input on that part, per se.

I'm wondering why you're so hung over oil for that purpose, specifically???

I used some 80 gal of Behr oil exterior on the barn and was pleased and
remain so 7-yr or so later. It was the premium level and other than HD
giving some discount based on the volume, no cheaper than S-W or the
other names at the time.

For the last interior oil I used, I was very pleased with a Glidden
product, also at least the next-to if not the top-level in their line.
Its brushability and flowout was quite enjoyable, actually. But again,
it wasn't the walls; can't see any need/advantage over a good quality
latex enamel for that purpose.

"oil based" interior trim paint is virtually unavailable today. Even
oil based primer or ceiling paint o paint "popcorn" textured ceilings
is very hard to get. After patching some popped drywall nails, we had
a terrible time getting a coat of primer or paint on without softening
and blistering the drywall compound, untill I grabbed a can of
off-white automotive touchup spray I had sitting around. A light coat
of that to seal the compound from the water in the paint, and no more
problems.