Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.homepower
ObamaNocare ObamaNocare is offline

Default Is this for real?

"amdx" wrote in message
On 3/5/2014 7:04 PM, mike wrote:
On 3/5/2014 3:31 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/5/2014 6:16 PM, Congoleum Breckenridge wrote:

http://www.quirky.com/blog/post/2014...oducing-reter/

I can't believe this will work, since it's clamped around both H&N
wires.

The ammeter I've got requires a splitter,
for that reason. I'm suspicious.

Read the links.
The technology exists.
But it depends on the physical arrangement of the wires in the cable.
Standard flat two-wire cable, maybe.
Twisted 3-wire cable of unknown internal dimensions, not so much.
I wonder more about what powers the wifi.

In the real world, I expect the unknown cables will be problematic.

How many devices do you have that don't plug in and also have
access to the power cable and it's only 2-wire?
Water heater? nope
Stove? nope
Furnace/AC? nope
And do I need an iphone to monitor it?
KillAWatt is a better investment.

Also in the real world, accuracy isn't necessary.
Energy savings is all about relative usage. Less is better.

You need two rules.
1) If you're not using it, unplug it.
But you can't unplug devices where this might be useful.
2) Don't use it.

You don't need any measurements to do this.
Shorter showers cost less. So take shorter showers.

Mike's metrology maxim...
Never measure anything if the answer won't affect your
future behavior.
I know that a shower costs me about 13-cents. Am I gonna
shower half as long to save 6.5-cents??? NO!

I put a power meter on my water heater at the end of 2008.
The family was using $1.73 per day to heat water. Then my daughter went
to college, now our hot water costs about $1.01.

That's pretty efficient. What is your brand name for electric water heater?
Can you give me more info?

btw. I didn't save money with her in college :-)

Oh, I don't see how that can work with both wires running through it.
Mikek