Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default drill bit sets, quality, prices???

On Saturday, March 22, 2014 5:19:55 PM UTC-7, wrote:
As a newby I don't know where to buy drill bit sets.

I want high precision, no bits that give me a .190 hole from a .186 drill bit; and not a 123 hole from a .125 bit either.

On EBAY I foudn 12 piece sets for $8.95 (from China probably), but when I search other sources the same type of sets are around $350.

Any suggestions?

alofsax

I prefer to use 135 degree split point cobalt stub drills (sometimes called screw machine drills) as they are less prone to walking and they hold up much better when drilling alloys. If I'm working to +/- .005 positioning I don't bother to use a spot drill as this saves time.

I would not buy Chinese drills. When it comes to drills, you get what you pay for. Even expensive drills are sometimes sharpened wrong. I check all new drills or ones I resharpen by drilling a hole in a piece of scrap and then checking with a gauge pin for fit.