Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alternate ways of getting jobs done

I think SM wrote that he saw it on the "Ice Road Truckers" TV series?
The operative word is "ice" which is cold as I recall. Everyone knows
that truck drivers who work in cold climates are a bunch of ice holes.
I wouldn't dream of inflating a tire with ether here in the semitropical
climate of Alabamastan but I've used Freon and CO2 to inflate tires. I
doubt that ether would be all that dangerous in near Arctic conditions,
open air and a breeze blowing. On one occasion, I ran out of gas on the
Interstate a mile from an exit and gas station. I was in a 1980 Dodge
van so I removed the dog house(engine cover) next to me, removed the air
cleaner then dug through the junk in the back to see what I had in
aerosol can that was somewhat combustible. I found cans of telephone
housing cleaner, carburetor cleaner and starting fluid. I sprayed the
phone cleaner into the carb then started the engine and drove the van
down the shoulder of the highway at a low speed as I sprayed cleaner a
little at a time until it ran out. I switched to carb cleaner and was
able to reach the exit, coast down it, roll up to the service station
then use starting fluid to get up the driveway to the gasoline pump. I
wasn't so disabled at the time and could have walked but I'm lazy and
really didn't have the time to go through trudging around with a gas
can. ^_^

TDD

Yes, I've seen IRT guys do ether. And on a few
Youtube videos. I've never tried it myself.

I helped a friend move a VW (rear drive) auto one time
with WD-40, using much the technique you describe.

Working inside the motor cover of a van should get
you there, if a bit dangerous.

Yes, most compressed gasses will inflate tires,
if needed.

--
..
Christopher A. Young