Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg Ralph E Lindberg is offline

Default Another feast or famine

In article ,
"G. Ross" wrote:

When I first got addicted to turning I scrounged around for wood to
turn. Now it turns up in my yard. A friend had a sweetgum blow down
on his farm. He cut it up in chunks about 20 inches long and 19
inches diameter. He wanted to bring the whole bunch but I told him 5
pieces would be enough. He brought 7.
After cutting a 3-4 inch slice out of the center to remove the pith,
I was left with 14 blocks weighing average 70 pounds. Too heavy for
me to cut out on the bandsaw any more, so I drew a circle on the flat
side and cut it into an octagon with the chainsaw.
Using the Bowl Saver I got 28 bowls roughed out. Finished roughing
them and hauling two truck loads of scrap and shavings off on Monday.
Tuesday I heard a chainsaw in the neighborhood--two good-sized
dogwoods had bit the dust.
Have them sealed and mostly sliced, some roughed out. Looks like
another 25 bowls to rough out. Dogwood is one of my favorite turning
woods.
A lot of work for not much money, but like a shark I have to keep
moving or else.

Sounds like the spalted Poplar the BIL gave me (only I burn the scap in the fire place and the shaving go to friends with chickens ..

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv