Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Alternate ways of getting jobs done

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/19/2014 12:40 PM, Bob F wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/18/2014 9:34 PM, Bob F wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/18/2014 5:54 PM, Bob F wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I used a van load of cardboard boxes one time, to
help a friend who had pretty much no attic insulation.
That helped a lot.

One spark, and that house is gone.

My first house had one layer of newspaper (dated 1948, in 1978)
spread over the attic joists, complete with well dried cat poop.
That went as soon as I saw it.

I don't think it's as much risk as you imply.

Maybe you should think.

You made the assertion, it's time for you to prove it.

Just think for a moment, about how cardboard burns, compared to
commercial insulation. Anything that might throw a few sparks on it
will have the whole attic bursting with flame in a matter of
minutes. Even cellulose insulation is treated with fire retardent
for a reason. Hold a burning match next to cardboard or a bare wooden joist.
Which
one burns the quickest and most violently? How about cardboard and
fiberglass insulation? Corregated cardboard even has built in air passages to
help the fire.

OK, lets qualify your statement, shall we? One spark that's hot enough
to ignite cardboard, and which contacts the cardboard and ignites it.
You imply that is some how more dangerous than before. If that "one
spark" is in the kitchen over a cast iron frying pan, the risk is
same. I can say much the same about nearly any residential or
commercial structure, if it's lit on fire it will burn. And is
cardboard in the attic more dangerous than before the cardboard?

I would suggest you call your local Fire Department and ask their opinion on
this. Let us know their answer.

Their is a reason that insulation is treated to resist fire if it is not
naturally resistant.

Who wants to have something in their attic that will by it's very nature make
fire spread extremely fast?