Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing attic insulation with a whole house fan

On 3/20/2014 8:59 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 17:18:49 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi,
I've recently bought a 1930's house with a whole house fan that discharges directly into my attic. The attic has gable vents, so plenty of discharge space is available. The attic floor joists are 2x6's and the fiberglass insulation is ancient... it's matted down to about 2" high. I'd like to replace the insulation. It's covered in a heavy layer of dust, probably most of which was deposited over the years by the whole house fan.

Is it ok to replace the fiberglass insulation and just let the dust settle on it over time? I have little interest in spending money to cover the attic floor with plywood or OSB just to keep the fiberglass relatively dust free. Should I worry about this sort of thing?

All comments appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore

The insulation you have as lost some R value being compressed. I see
no reason that can't leave it in place a blow 6 inches of blown
cellulose insulation on top of it. IMO

What kind of cellulose action do you expect
when the OP turns on his whole house fan?

--
..
Christopher A. Young