Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus10422 Ignoramus10422 is offline

Default Update on the capability of my hydraulic press

On 2014-03-21, Bob La Londe wrote:
Many years ago I worked in a cotton gin as a front press operators. The
ginner warned us to keep an eye on hydraulic pressures, and if anything
didn't look right or we heard a sizzling hiss don't move until you know why.
He claimed a pin hole on a high pressure line could cut you like a high
power laser. He claimed to have seen a guys arm half severed from a leak
once. I am thinking we were running about 4000-5000 on the main press rams.
Those lines were down in the pit below the bale press, but still. I kind of
believe him about the damage hydraulics can do having seen a guy cut a wood
pallet in half with a gas powered pressure washer once at much wider
dispersement and much lower pressures than that.

I wouldn't want 10,000 psi lines in my shop either.

Maybe it cannot cut a hand in half, but hydraulic oil kills tissue
around it, leading to loss of limb.