Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus10422 Ignoramus10422 is offline

Default Update on the capability of my hydraulic press

A while ago I posted a video of hard drive crushing. Lloyd (IIRC) said
that I was overestimating the capacity of my hydrauilc press.

Here's the pictu

http://goo.gl/MHQeac

I finally got around to looking at it closely.

The ram is approximately 7 inches diameter.

The maximum pressure, developed when the motor audibly stalls, is
around 1,500 PSI on the gauge.

The area of the ram is 7*7*3.14/4 = 38.5 inches.

The force is the area, multiplied by 1,500 PSI = 57,700 lbs.

This makes the press roughly a 30 ton press.

So, Lloyd was right.

That said, we built this press ourselves, using the mechanical frame
with ram that I bought at auction, and a hydraulic pump we got
somewhere else.

I believe that the ram is designed to be used with my higher
pressures, as the hoses attached to it were 10,000 PSI hoses.

I do not want 10,000 PSI anything in my shop, however I do want maybe
5,000 PSI or at least 3,000 PSI. I will, I guess, keep looking for a
more capable hydraulic unit. The plus of the unit I have now, is that
it is 110v and easy to use.