Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default ohm meter battery

On 03/20/2014 10:18 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"OldGuy" wrote in message ...

We've had the Duracell/Energizer argument before. I've never had trouble
with Energizers. The only alkalines I've ever had leak were Duracells.
And those were all AAs. I've never had Duracell C or D leak.

So how to clean up?
Flashlight with alkaline batteries permanetly now glued to aluminum
case. No solvent I have tried works. Even after cleaning the threads
on the cap and screwing the cap back on (batteries seemed dry but
still glued in place) and leaving the flashlight for a week or two,
the cap is glued back on again. A pipe wrench and vice [sic] will not
turn it.

That sounds like pathologically bad leakage.

You need something alkaline to dissolve the electrolyte. Household
ammonia usually works. It will also /at least/ discolor the aluminum.

Actually considering that the battery leaks an Alkaline, I can only
imagine that using additional alkaline will only make matters worse.

May I suggest that you try a mild ACID - vineger (clear, not malt) works
a treat for neutralizing the alkaline leakage. You may want to dilute
the viniger 50:50 with distilled (or Vancouver, BC, tap) water.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com