Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default ohm meter battery

"OldGuy" wrote in message ...

We've had the Duracell/Energizer argument before. I've never had trouble
with Energizers. The only alkalines I've ever had leak were Duracells.
And those were all AAs. I've never had Duracell C or D leak.

So how to clean up?
Flashlight with alkaline batteries permanetly now glued to aluminum case.
No solvent I have tried works. Even after cleaning the threads on the cap
and screwing the cap back on (batteries seemed dry but still glued in place)
and leaving the flashlight for a week or two, the cap is glued back on
again. A pipe wrench and vice [sic] will not turn it.

That sounds like pathologically bad leakage.

You need something alkaline to dissolve the electrolyte. Household ammonia
usually works. It will also /at least/ discolor the aluminum.