Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Canadian Household Net Worth Increased 44% between 2005-2012, US falls 40% Between 2007-2010

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Bob F:
My take is that, in Germany -and Europe in general - the benefits
productivity increases was at least split between workers and
business owners... but in the USA, the benefits of productivity
increases went exclusively to business owners.

As I understand it, German law requires substantial represnetation
from labor on corporate boards.

I didn't want to muddy the water by going there.... but my impression
is that just about every worker in Germany belongs to a union.

At one point, my #2 daughter and one of my German nephews worked
essentially the same job: in a travel agency. The nephew, of course,
belonged to a union; and the daughter, of course, did not.

The nephew got paid for overtime, six weeks vacation, lunch breaks, a
living wage, medical coverage, pension plan, and so-on and so-forth.

The daughter had to work overtime but did not get paid for it. Not
only that, but they didn't even get fed at mealtimes.... they just
had to skip dinner and keep working until they were allowed to leave.
*Then* they got to eat.

Needless to say, no vacation time, no medical coverage, and very close
to minimum wage.

Which is exactly where we're headed if the repubs and their Koch brother
benefactors get their way.