Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Leon's Cabinets - Plus

On 3/19/2014 10:20 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 08:45:38 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
I have considered the branding iron but see no advantage. My customers
know who I am. I seriously doubt than any one has sold any of my pieces
to some one that would want more. I simple leave them several business
cards. I think for the type work that I do the branding iron would be
more of an ego accessory. OTOH furniture with no signature mark screams
custom made.

Well, for many woodworkers, ego is involved or at least pride in one's
work. While many don't like to brag about their work, we all get a
sense of accomplishment when presenting what we've done. I do see your
point though. Besides, you don't need customers to compliment your
work, you've got us to do that for you.

Actually my customers stroke my ego pretty good as it is. ;~) And what
I hear here is appreciated in a different way. The customer likes what
he is getting. Most here appreciate what actually goes into the
production of a piece. The branded logo is, IMHO, simply a mental game
you play with yourself or a way to let a future owner of the piece know
where the piece came from. This would be great if I was in a production
factory situation and expected my business to exist after I am long
gone. I suspect that in my lifetime my brand would only be seen by
myself and or the owner of the piece. I would only want to brand a
piece if I thought it might bring more business my way. Given the
previous statement I don't think it itself would being me more business
so much as the owner of the piece giving me a referral, which is how I
get a majority of my work.

I don't look down on some one that would use a brand, it is just not
something I think I would like to use.