Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Please check my calculations

In article ],
Another John writes:
In article ], Chris ]
wrote:

The gym has machines by pulsefitness.
There seems to be a mismatch in the numbers displayed.... etc

First, if it's a gym machine then I'd be sceptical of its accuracy
anyway -- no disrespect to the gym owners, but public machines get a
hell of a lot of use (and abuse).

I use a lot of different gym cycling machines when traveling, usually
in hotels where they are going to get less maintenance than in a gym,
and, somewhat to my surprise, they all pretty much agree on what
power output I generate at specific pulse rates. The only one that's
different is my one at home which under-registers power output, even
compared with my brother's identical one at his home.

I have not done a comparison on their conversion of energy output to
kCal burned, so I don't know if it's a simple 1:5 (or similar) ratio,
or if it takes into account loading, cadence, pulse rate (for those
that pick it up), etc.

I would also be interested to know the formula the Bremshey ones
use to report fitness. It's heavily based on the rate of drop of your
pulse rate for the 60 seconds after you finish exercising, but I don't
know if it takes into account any other metrics which it records
during the exercise.

--
Andrew Gabriel