Posted to sci.electronics.repair
RobertMacy RobertMacy is offline

Default OT anybody know the 'light bulb' in this microwave?

On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 07:01:53 -0700, wrote:

...snip...

You should be able to find the actual manufacturer through the UL file
number printed on the sticker where you got the serial number. Or
phone Oster and ask who makes their microwaves.

You may have missed my venting about the automated phone service, followed
by lack of information once I reached a person at Oster. Checking UL
label, interesting never thought of that.

The bulb is usually an ordinary 25W - 40W incandescent, either screw-in
or bayonet mount, but Ebay shows some bulbs mounted (permanently?) in
a plastic base with two spade lugs sticking out. You should be able
to get one from a real hardware store, appliance parts supply,
vacuum cleaner dealer, Ebay, or order it online from places like
RepairClinic.com (also has forums). A Google image search for
"microwave oven bulb" will show the various styles.

I was hoping to have the replacment bulb in hand, BEFORE taking the uWave
apart.

Don't change the bulb without first unplugging the oven. You'll have
to remove the whole cover by unscrewing it (several in back, proably
1-2 along the bottom sides) and pulling it back. There's a big high
voltage capacitor inside, about the size of a pack of cigarettes
(grey thing here, marked "DANGER", but most are silver colored):

http://softsolder.files.wordpress.co...n-interior.jpg

It can retain 3,000 - 4,000 volts forever, if its bleeder resistor
breaks, and bleeder resistors often break. Stay away from it and its
wires because it can put out lethally high current at high voltage.

Charge migration in caps can be lethal. Turns them into little 'batteries'

The lightbulb may be around there, in the top half, or it may be on
the opposite side. If it screws in, it may be held in place with a
dab of silicone rubber sealant, to resist vibration from the fans.

Do NOT plug in the AC power cord until after you have the oven cover
completely installed, including all its screws. The cover probably
has some steel fingers to help hold it in place, and it's easy to
mount them on the outside instead of inside.

So far, your description is the closest to a step by step. Thanks for the
'heads up' on metal fingers. Still wish there was a definitive step by
step I could follow, including having that bulb before starting. so, know
what getting into.