Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dave dave is offline

Default Looking for cable, 2 coax with overall 3rd shield

On 03/17/2014 06:26 PM, amdx wrote:

amdx wrote:

VGA monitor cable?

I'm not aware of what is inside,
does this super VGA type look right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-10FT-30F...-/350979305532

They have three miniature 75 ohm coax cables and an outer shield, along
with several other single conductors. This is for your homemade Boonton
RF probe, so I've seen the cable they use. Don't you have a spare
monitor cable laying around, or a recycler that will let you swipe a
cable off a bad monitor?

I opened up the cable I have and it is aluminum shield, won't work
for my purpose. Plus two many wires.
I'm looking at this audio cable with XLR connectors.
http://www.amazon.com/XLR-Male-Femal...pr_product_top

I suspect this is a twisted pair inside a shield, pins 1, 2, and 3 and
then a shield around everything that connects to the housing of the
connector.

It says, "These cables... because of their combination of heavy duty
construction as well as their inner and outer protective RF shielding of
heavy duty copper conductors.

So it has two shields, but is each conductor shielded?

The use is the Boonton RF meter the cable carries DC voltage at low
voltages, as low as 1mV.
I'm still trying to find the right cable. I'd like to find something
commercial and cut a 25ft cable into 5 pieces and put ends on them.
Mikek

Call Pacific Radio in Burbank. They are a Belden dealer and a pro cables
manufacturer.