Steven D. Russell

Default Bowl Saving: A Comprehensive Discussion

Hello Mike,

I can verify that there is indeed a left handed set of Kelton knives for the
Centre Saver, as I have two sets. They work as you mentioned, cutting from
the headstock to the tailstock end.

They can also be used on the large outboard side of the Oneway (and other
lathes) for reverse coring. In fact, I use them often in this manner. Take
care and all the best to you and yours!
--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

"Woodturning with Steven D. Russell" CD now available!
More than 93,000 words, and 500+ photos in 21 articles, email for details.

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio
The Woodlands, Texas

Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for
the Woodturning and Woodworking Industries
"Mike Paulson" wrote in message
Hi Lyn,

Nice article, as usual. Perhaps you will talk about this in the second
part, but I believe it is worth a mention in the categories of saving wood
and lessening shavings - using the coring tools to rough shape the
exterior of the largest bowl. You basically part off a ring of wood from
the outside. I have heard of some people who save these to make mirror
frames, but I just do it to help reduce the shavings pile. I have a
standard McNaughton which I must use from the tailstock end, so that means
mounting the blank on a faceplate with the bottom of the future bowl
towards the headstock. I have heard but not verified that there is / was
a reverse curve McNaughton blade that would allow you to make this cut
from the headstock end while the blank was mounted between centers.
Actually, I am more likely to pick up my Stewart Slicer to make this cut
during initial roughing out with the blank between centers, cutting from
the side first, and then coming straight in from the bottom to meet the
original cut and part off the ring. This has the advantage of being
easier to remove the ring - loosen the tailstock as opposed to unscrewing
the faceplate with blank attached - and I prefer to rough out the external
bowl shape at this stage rather than after the blank has been mounted on
the faceplate or chuck.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co