Owen Lowe

Default bandsaws

In article ,
(Bill Cross) wrote:

Yup, I know, but the Rikon 14" band saw from WWW looks pretty good!!
The only drawback that I can see is no riser kit available, but wonder
if I need it for normal use? Any thoughts-experiance or comments ??
Looks pretty good for $399.!!! I'm kind of new at this turning
business!! Thanks all !!! Bill

Hi Bill. I have a 14" saw from one of the more popular makers and I feel
it became a much more useful and appreciated tool once I added the riser
to it a few months back. Sure you can make do with the 6" standard
clearance, but for roughing out blanks (even for someone like me with a
mini lathe) the extra 6" really is quite useful. The extra height
provides me with more options when trimming down a log.

If you can swing the finances for a saw that accepts the riser, my
advice is to go that route. (BTW, you should be able to find an older
pre-owned Delta in that price range.)

_____
American Association of Woodturners
Cascade Woodturners Assoc., Portland, Oregon
Northwest Woodturners, Tigard, Oregon
_____