Lyn J. Mangiameli

Default Bowl Saving: A Comprehensive Discussion

Hi Jeff,
I agree I like the quick accessiblility of information available in a
table.

I had intended to discuss core sizes, then decided against it. Core
diameter is determined not just by knife, but by the depth you can/wish
to work with, your intended yield and stylistic issues. Thus I'm not
certain it is actually that informative to talk of sizes of pure
hemispherical cores, particularly when the Kelton and Slicer can produce
conical cores.

Minimum swing is a limiting issue on only the Oneway, which is described
in the text.

Even retail prices are problematic as the Kelton and Oneway are
available in so many different configurations.

I did list whether the tip was replaceable in the table, but this
information was likely hard to decipher as my formatted Word tables
become gobbledygook when the hit the text only NG.

Tip metal is described in the text for the Slicer (carbide), Woodcut
(Stellite), and Oneway (M4), but the Kelton tip is integral to the shaft
and to my knoweldge the tool steel used remains proprietary information.

I do appreciate the comments and will see if I can work some of your
suggestions into the final table.

Lyn

Jeff Jilg wrote:
Another excellent article Lyn. As I was reading it one thing that would
have been useful was a table...and you had that at the end. Still, there is
more info that could make the table a good reference. Stuff like lathe
swing range (10" min - 16"max), core sizes (xxx min, xxx max), retail price,
replaceable tip (Y, N), tip metal (M2, M4, etc).

I've been thinking about getting a corer, and this article really helped lay
out the different decision points.

Jeff Jilg
Austin, TX