Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Rosewood handle repair: Stanley Plane

On 3/17/2014 7:13 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
"tdacon" wrote in news:lg5q85$oqj$1@dont-
email.me:

"Michael" wrote in message

I picked up an old Stanley #4 on Craigslist for 10 bucks (someone's
grandpa's old plane). It has plenty of rust, but I think when it's cleaned
up it will be a very nice replacement for the one that fell off my bench and
broke. The rosewood handle is cracked clean through 1/2 inch from the base.
What's the best method for repair? My first thought is Gorilla Glue because
of course the bond need to be super tough for the torque that will be put on
it. I could use a handle from another plane, or buy a used one, or make one.
But I'd like to keep it as original as possible for now. (I understand that
these old planes have often already switched out parts a few times). Any
success in mending rosewood handles? Thanks.

If, when you put the two pieces together, there's just a hairline crack
between them, I'd be inclined to use a cyanoacrylate adhesive.

I disagree. I'd use epoxy instead.

Cyanoacrylate glues have poor shear strength, and I suspect that the bond won't survive
long in service. Using CA glue will *also* quite effectively seal the two surfaces, making it
darn near impossible to effect a repair with any other type of adhesive once the CA glue
joint comes apart.

Agreed. CA is too brittle.

--
Jeff