Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another battery charger question

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:12:28 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 11:12:13 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message
m...
On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 00:52:20 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message
news:ske7i99akdraa7oa03m424i36ps6uv7689@4ax. com...

I'm looking to the post-SHTF scenarios....

In that extreme case I think we would revert to armed roving bands
and
you might be better off joining one than being their prey. What
outdoorsman survival skills can you offer them?

Cook. I'll stay in the camp with the women. domg

Once you've had enough of their griping about the Call of Nature and
making you scrub the burnt pots with your handy chin hair you may
prefer to stay in the dump with the rats.

Loads of fun. Are you intentionally avoiding the What-Ifs? When
the
terrorists finally start strafing us from inside our own country,
large areas will surely go down for long periods of time.

Sure, I'm ready, got my 20mm Oerlikon for when sharks cross-breed with
flying fish and dive out of the sky like kamikazes. No damn buffalo
gonna roam in my home!

Read about the Provos in Belfast or the OAS in France to see what
might really happen in your scenario. Beirut and Sarajevo won't happen
without strong armed forces on both sides. I was frequently on the
road in a lone US military vehicle during the Baader-Meinhof, Munich
Olympics period in Germany. They let us carry M-16s and .45s. That's a
large part of why I preferred the inconspicuous VW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Army_Faction

http://www.baader-meinhof.com/tag/heidelberg/
Only luck kept me away from the Heidelberg blast.

BMWs sported bumper stickers proclaiming that they were not Baader
Meinhof Wagons. Instead of being terrorized the country treated them
like Bonnie and Clyde.

In Germany I took my VW when sent on a repair mission in the middle
of
the night. It had a winter sleeping bag and a case of C-rats on the
floor so I could live in it when necessary, sometimes more
comfortably
than the accommodations the field site offered, or pull into the
woods
for the night if I was falling asleep on the long drives home. I
added
an outlet in the dash to plug in a 6VDC electric razor so I didn't
need hot water to pass inspection in the morning.

Cool. Are you keeping a case of rats in the vehicle now?

I'm no longer on call 24/7 to fix something 200 miles away in an
unfamiliar foreign country. I carry a cell phone and business cards of
all the local towing companies.

You can survive for about 3 days without water, weather dependent,
and
over a week without food. It's more critical to stay warm and dry.
http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/s...-and-water.htm
"The fat goes next, which explains why people with more of it can
survive longer."

I believe the updated data is that you can live 3 minutes without
air,
3 hours without TV, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food.
wouldn't want to try any of the above but the second one. g
IIRC,
I'm 8 years conscious (without TV) now.

Oh, I _finally_ finished wiring the solar array and am using one of
the emergency lamps, a 9w LED spots-in-a-bubble, as a computer
reading
light. The sunlight at 4:22pm today was on the array but at an80
degree angle, so the panels were putting out just 4.62v. I'm
curious
to see how long they put out during the day. If too short, I may
build a lazy susan tracker for it and add batteries.

Did I mention that the current software release for this meter
http://www.amazon.com/TekPower-TP400...037891-6841520
allows multiple installations of the program, so you can assemble a
datalogger with up to four voltage / current/ temperature inputs?
Since they are optically isolated you can measure voltage and current
without accidentally shorting power leads together. The log files are
separate but easily combined and graphed in a spreadsheet.

jsw