Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael[_24_] Michael[_24_] is offline

Default Rosewood handle repair: Stanley Plane

I picked up an old Stanley #4 on Craigslist for 10 bucks (someone's grandpa's old plane). It has plenty of rust, but I think when it's cleaned up it will be a very nice replacement for the one that fell off my bench and broke.. The rosewood handle is cracked clean through 1/2 inch from the base. What's the best method for repair? My first thought is Gorilla Glue because of course the bond need to be super tough for the torque that will be put on it. I could use a handle from another plane, or buy a used one, or make one. But I'd like to keep it as original as possible for now. (I understand that these old planes have often already switched out parts a few times). Any success in mending rosewood handles? Thanks.