Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another battery charger question

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:12:28 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Nope, ice-laden trees fall on the wires. Usually they pull the wires
loose, sometimes they take down poles. The sky flashes green or
purplish when the 19.9KV line on top arcs. I don't know the extent of
damage to transformers, and there seems to be a good stock of spares.
The power companies have become much more diligent about trimming
overhanging branches along the road so maybe the threat is less now.

Most transformers are equipped with many many fuses and circuit
breakers which trip in such events.

One can simply cut away the bad circuits or repair them. When the CB
in your bathroom kicks open because Momma dropped the hair dryer into
the sink..the rest of the house isnt destroyed. When the bad guys
blow up the power plant...the system is gonna be dead for quite some
time.

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

---