Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Flight MH370 disaster - Some thoughts about telemetry, hijacking

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
"Robert Green" wrote:

The length of time that's elapsed since the probable ocean crash of the

jet
means that debris has had a lot of time to scatter as well as become
waterlogged and sink. It's conceivable that MH370 stays lost for a

very,
very long time like the Titanic.

At least with the Titanic, you had a much better fix of where it went
down and that was more a question of when the tech would develop to let
it happen than IF it would happen.

It's still a very big ocean out there. It took two years to find just one
of the black boxes from the AirFrance crash and they had a pretty good idea
where to look because they found wreckage shortly after the crash. MH370
may "sleep" for as long as the Titanic did, albeit for slightly different
reasons that all come back to "it's a big ocean with a lot of (very deep)
water to search."

The Titanic was only found because the USN floated the money for the search
and they were looking for the Thresher, not the Titanic. We've had deep
diving submersible technology since the '50's but it's wildly expensive and
time-consuming to search at those depths. Maybe if the India sinks a
submarine in that area, we'll have an excuse to search the depths in depth.
Given the problems India's been having with their subs (they stopped buying
Russian gear and are now building their own (apparently very shoddy) subs.

Reminds me of the John Madden joke about the guy who loses a quarter in the
urinal so he takes out his wallet and throws a $50 bill in after it. He
tells his buddy "you don't think I am going in there for a quarter?"

--
Bobby G.