Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee B Lee B is offline

Default Cleaning Up a Broken CFL

On 3/14/2014 8:32 AM, philo wrote:
On 03/14/2014 05:26 AM, BurfordTJustice wrote:
http://www2.epa.gov/cfl/cleaning-broken-cfl

Never ever will there be one in my house, work place etc.
the enviro wackos can have them

That was part of the reason I was against them but decided to go with
them any way for several reasons.

1) I have /never/ broken one.

2) I have broken a few of those fluorescent tubes and have been using
them for over 40 years. Back then no one knew of all the hazards and we
all seemed to keep on living somehow. One of those tubes sure can
produce a lot more pollution than those CFLs

Anyone my age probably played with mercury with our hands when we were
kids and exposed ourselves to more mercury than one of those CFL's

That said I am not sure if I'd use one in an area where food is prepared.

When this came up several months ago (I'd asked about using a CFL in a
range hood), someone suggested a shatterproof CFL bulb. I found one at
Home Depot. It's a curly CFL inside of a bulb shaped enclosure that has
some sort of rubberized coating. I don't know if it is actually
shatterproof since it cost too much money to test. But I think that the
rubberized enclosure would keep the evil spirits inside if it did break.
(Actual bulb is a bit of a pain because it's really slow to light up).