Posted to uk.d-i-y
Uncle Peter[_2_] Uncle Peter[_2_] is offline

Default Dim fluorescent tube

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 18:41:49 -0000, Johny B Good wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 15:05:16 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 14:35:40 -0000, Johny B Good wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 12:05:54 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message ...

In message , Adrian C
writes

+1

I replaced 4 twin fittings around the house with similar HF fittings
from TLC and they made a big difference. They appear to come on at full
brightness instantly, although using a light meter they do take a couple
of minutes, but this isn't actually noticeable to the naked eye. Much
more friendly than the older style of fluorescent. I was expecting
more RF interference from them, but this hasn't been the case, if
anything they are quieter. The only slight issue was having to go and
collect the tubes, for some reason they will not courier these! :-)

There a 36 twin 6 foot fittings so they won't be changed !

A few years ago, after goggling (_not_ googling, in case you
wondered) at the eyewatering price of 5 foot tubes on Tool Station's
web site, I came across a company that would ship tubes at about a
tenth of Tool Station's one off price of 10 quid but only in unit
quantities of 25!

Which is why LEDs are better, they are easier to ship (not smashable, and smaller).

True enough in this one particular condition. I'm sure it must be a
great comfort to the pioneering souls who are prepared to 'splash the
cash'. There are benefits to LED lamps which some might consider to be
worth the expense but, like most folk, I'm not convinced it's worth
the extra cost at their current price premium.

They aren't expensive in BC fittings. In fact a lot of offices seem to have those 1 foot diameter recessed downlights nowadays, which you could put LEDs in easily.

--
What's the ultimate in rejection?
Having a wank and your hand goes to sleep!