Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another battery charger question

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 00:52:20 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..

I'm looking to the post-SHTF scenarios. 12 lbs are certainly
carryable, if not likeable.

I don't think SHTF is likely, but BTDT.

Look at the vulnerability of our grid, its age, etc. and tell me
that
again. I dare ya. sigh

Ice storms destroy large areas of our grid but the power is back on
again in a week.

Look what happens to cities when one little boom-boom goes off.
Boston
is one example. Overreaction to even minor terrorism is rampant, so
think what will happen when (not if) the *******s attack again. 911
will pale in comparison, I'm sure.

Co-dependent city dwellers don't have space to prepare for much. Where
would they run generators? They aren't good examples for the rest of
us, nor are disaster films by neurotic fearmongers. Broadway actress
Lea Michele admitted to Jay Leno that she didn't even own a flashlight
when Sandy struck. I've helped urban friends who literally couldn't
change a light bulb.

Britain, Germany and Japan made a big show of operating as normally as
possible despite the bombing. Only physical invasion in Germany and
the nukes in Japan halted the functioning of their societies.

I used to run my motorcycle into the woods for the night and hide it
and my tent, so the landowner or kids wouldn't find and bother me.
Sometimes the first good spot was taken and I had to look further.
In
such a situation I lit no fire and didn't even stand up much, and
had
no need for electricity beyond the bright flashlight to blind night
intruders.

On foot, motorcycle or canoe it's hard enough to carry the
necessities to stay warm, dry and fed, never mind a weapon, ammo and
radio.

Perhaps for one night only, but...

My mountain hikes and wilderness canoe trips ran to a week or so,
limited by vacation time and the food I could carry. Country stores
along the route carried only heavy canned food and meat that required
refrigeration. I tread too lightly for the damage that living off the
land leaves behind.
jsw