Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default PING TMH

On 14/03/2014 20:07, Bill Wright wrote:
GB wrote:
On 14/03/2014 08:33, Stephen wrote:

Yes, born profoundly deaf in bopth sides. I need to lipread as well....

Sadly, shamefully even, this will be a really major problem for
someone starting up a new handyman business. I would strongly expect
that most customers currently ring up and discuss the work that they
want done.

If you go down the email/sms route that will be a new experience for
most of your customers. I think you will have to be very up-front
about this and try and make it a positive selling proposition. There
must be some people for whom it is beneficial to book by email/sms.

You would have to explain why it is necessary, and you will rule out
say 90%+ of your potential customer base.

I really don't agree. I think if you explain the situation a decent
percentage will co-operate.

I certainly hopes the OP keeps his normal job whilst he sets up his
handyman business. It's a gamble, as nobody really knows how people will
react to the deafness. It's a gamble, anyway, setting up a new business.

If I were doing this, I think I would get a GasSafe qualification.
There's good money installing boilers, and hourly rates for gas work are
much higher than for general handywork. The OP would have a very good
chance of equalling or exceeding his current pay.