Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Putting LED bulb in incandescent fixture?

writes:
I am about to have recessed lighting installed in several bedrooms (standar=
d size) of my house. 4 lights in each room should do the trick. Here come=
s the hard part-- incandescent or LED? 4 inch, 5 inch or 6 inch cans? I j=
ust think 6 inch is too big and ugly (though it seems more standard than 5 =
inch). I am afraid that 4 inch cans won't supply enough light. LED instal=
lation is much more expansive than incandescent and I don't think the LED c=
ans look that good.

Here is my question. Could I get 5 inch incandescent installed, then switc=
h the bulbs itself to LED bulbs? Is there any electrical problem with doin=
g it that way? Are there LED bulbs equivelant for a incandescent bulb that=
would fit a 5 inch can?

I have a bunch of 6" cans with BR-30 LED floods. Work great, produce
excellent light and snap on immediately (well, 500ms delay, but full
brightness). You may find the lamp selection much more limited with
a 5" recessed fixture.