Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default Cleaning Up a Broken CFL

On 03/14/2014 08:31 AM, dgk wrote:

I love my CFLs. They clearly are far more efficient and you choose the
type for the purpose. Home Despot has a nice demo area where the
different kinds (daylight, cool white, etc) are housed and you can see
what kind you want.

I didn't think they would last as long as advertised though, and when
I put one in a ceiling fan fixture I wrote the day and the supposed
life span. I replaced it sometime in February of 2014 and noticed what
I had written. It was installed on 1/12/2002, and was supposed to last
five years. It did way better than five years, and wasn't even
supposed to go in a ceiling fan fixture because the vibration isn't
good for a bulb.

But I did just buy the 16 pack of 60 watt incandescents at Home Despot
for something like $4. I have several fixtures that just won't work
correctly with the CFLs so I have to use the incancescents.

I haven't broken a CFL yet, but as a kid I also played with the
mercury from broken thermometers and am still here, so I'm not
terribly worried. I do return the dead ones to the recycle boxes in
the stores.

I have a 19th century house that has a number of enclosed glass antique
globes and for fear of heat damage limited the bulbs to 60 watts. I
hated the very dim light though.

I deiced to try CFL's that were 100 watt equivalent (I think 23 actual
watts) When I first turned them on I thought they were even worse then
the original 60 watt bulbs but after a short time they "warmed up" and
gave excellent light...much better than the 60 watt incandescent.