Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe JoeJoe is offline

Default PING TMH

On 14/03/2014 12:48, Nightjar wrote:
On 14/03/2014 08:34, Stephen wrote:
On 13/03/2014 22:56, Nightjar wrote:
On 13/03/2014 22:24, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/03/2014 19:17, Nightjar wrote:
On 13/03/2014 18:56, Stephen wrote:
Thank you every one for all your comments, I have learned a lot.....

I've had a few more thoughts.....

Do customers make voice calls to Handymen or do they email instead?

reason I ask is that I am deaf so voice calls would be a *BIG*
problem
for me as it is not possible to lipread on phones. So I would prefer
customers to email me. I'm content to have a 3G enabled Apple Ipad in
the van for this purpose.

You would have to make it a selling point; to avoid interrupting my
work, I don't take phone calls while working. I suspect it will cost
you
business though.

and/or use a PA service to handle calls and take bookings. There are
plenty about that will answer with the correct script for the business
being called etc.

Probably the best answer, if the cost is acceptable. They will take the
phone calls and translate them to email.

or to text message.......

Can you sign? If so, you could find you have a niche market you could
exploit and they would understand why you can't take phone calls.

You may have a point here.

A joiner friend is gay, and has completely cornered the gay market
around here (not literally... ;-)). Apparently some can be uncomfortable
with the attitude of some tradesmen. He is also very popular amongst
single women looking for a joiner.

He's been self employed for 15 years and has yet to spend a penny on
marketing etc - all referrals from happy customers.