Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan.Espen Dan.Espen is offline

Default Putting LED bulb in incandescent fixture?

writes:

I am about to have recessed lighting installed in several bedrooms
(standard size) of my house. 4 lights in each room should do the
trick. Here comes the hard part-- incandescent or LED? 4 inch, 5
inch or 6 inch cans? I just think 6 inch is too big and ugly (though
it seems more standard than 5 inch). I am afraid that 4 inch cans
won't supply enough light. LED installation is much more expansive
than incandescent and I don't think the LED cans look that good.

Here is my question. Could I get 5 inch incandescent installed, then
switch the bulbs itself to LED bulbs? Is there any electrical problem
with doing it that way? Are there LED bulbs equivelant for a
incandescent bulb that would fit a 5 inch can?

I just put CREE LEDs in my kitchen ceiling cans
replacing Sylvania 60W flood lights.

They work great with the dimmer and the quality of the light is
much improved.

So, yes, they are interchangeable. More important to me,
LEDs produce better looking light.

--
Dan Espen