Posted to uk.d-i-y
Judith Judith is offline

Default PING TMH

On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 07:53:16 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snip

But there are downsides with always quoting in person,
and always quoting higher than your opposition does
because its costs them a lot less to do the quote.

Its not as if you will always try to charge more with
all jobs when you show up, you only do that when
it turns out that you couldn't see the real problem
in the photo or video. When say someone tells you
that they can no longer unlock a door and you can
see from the photo what sort of lock is involved,
and just do the job for what you quoted, you have
avoided the real cost of showing up in person for
every quote.

As a user of such services (not a handyman at all !!) if I contacted someone
and asked then for a quote - and they said send some photos and I will give you
the quote - I would avoid them with a barge pole.

I want someone to visit me: ask them some questions, and also assess the person
myself. Does the guy turn up in a van, a car or on a pushbike? All an
indication of the professionalism of the tradesman.

I want a fixed price for doing the job after their assessment.