Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Patio awnings? (Ping TMH?)

On 12/03/2014 08:23, Lobster wrote:
The warm weather has got SWMBO thinking about the summer, and she
reckons she wants a patio awning. Joy.

Any gotchas? Makes/types to reccomend or avoid?

If I do go for it, it's going to be attached to our recent extension,
which has a block-built cavity wall - is that going to be adequate for
the fixings? what's the best way of doing that?

TMH, although I'm a couple of hundred miles away from you, I've looked
at your microsite: what brand do you fit, and are they OK (though I
presume you're not going to say "no"!)

Mine is bolted to brickwork using anchor bolts. From memory, these
required 14mm holes going about 75mm into the bricks. I think I drilled
right through to the cavity. That's been up quite a few years, and is
perfectly firm.

I don't know what sort of blocks your wall is made of. But assuming
something hard intended for external use rather than the cheese used for
the inner leaf, you should be ok.

I don't know what make mine is. I bought it half-price from a place
which was closing down. I've still got the instructions, but there's no
manufacturer's name on them!

Until last year, I always took it down for the winter - leaving just the
brackets bolted to the wall - but at the end of last summer I bought a
fabric cover to wrap round it so that I could leave it up. Some of the
fancier - and more expensive(!) - ones have some sort of cassette round
them, so they presumably have their own built in protection for all year
use.
--
Cheers,
Roger